In Cluj you can buy minced tofu from Kaufland. I hope they have it all over the world, but I never checked. It is a life changer if you have a cruelty free diet but you used to love food made from meat. I use this alternative meat for cabbage a la Cluj, filled paprika soup and for bolognese sauce, but I also tried other recipes with minced meat with it, and it worked very well each time.
- Pasta (I used fussili this time, but I usually use spaghetti)
- Minced tofu
- Tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon on Basil
- 1 bay leaf, fresh if possible
- Smoked paprika powder
- 1 cup of wine
- 2 carrots, grated
- Sweet corn (it’s really optional, but I like everything more with corn. 😅 And also the idea of having some extra protein).
- You can also put some parmesan on it (there are some great vegan options as well, I usually buy vegan cheese from Cora, they have lots and lots to choose from).
Chop the onion and the garlic, grate the carrots. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and cook it until it gets slightly transparent. Add the garlic and carrots and stir it around for a couple of seconds. Pour the wine over it, cover the pan and let it steam for a few minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook it slowly for almost an hour. If necessary, you can add some water. Occasionally stir it to make sure it won’t stick to the pan.
Cook the pasta according to the indications.
When it’s cooked, sprinkle some parmezan on it, and serve it with some fresh basil on top. We were so hungry this time, I totally neglected the plating, I almost forgot to take some pictures as well. 😂 So the visual content isn’t the best, but this is really one of my most loved recipes. 🤍